The Glass Darkly

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Emerging Bridge-builders

I have been doing some reading lately to understand how Christians who call themselves “emergent” are really any different than me, you or other Christians who are sincerely trying to follow Jesus in living out their faith. I suppose I am rather simple-minded, oblivious and maybe unintentionally arrogant in the sense that I assume that the way I “do Christianity” is the way everyone who is sincerely following the way of Jesus would come to agree it should be done. But then I look back on my journey and consider the diverse perspectives I have encountered and realize my foolishness.

For example, I look at the values and practices outlined by those defined as “in the emergent conversation.” In my own words, this conversation is basically among Christians who see a fragmentation in the Church both in terms of theology and practice. I think they would say it is partly due to our disconnect from the historic roots and unity in our faith and partly from our lack of radical discipleship of Jesus.

In simple terms, those in the emergent conversation look to build bridges between faith traditions and glean from those practices that have proven to be most enriching to the Christian journey in terms of our worship and connectedness to God. They are intentional in opening conversation between those from diverse Christian practice and theology. As far as mission, they would say Christ calls us to actively engage culture and human need as agents of transformation. They are open to various forms and definitions of “church” and “congregation” acknowledging the different ways the Spirit leads groups of Christians to do mission.

I read such ideas and think, “How is that any different than how I have been led to live out my Christianity? How is that different than what I am seeing around me?” But then I look and listen more closely and I realize there are still people who prefer their boundaries and dogma. There are people who don’t mind exclusiveness and cannot see that conversation, inclusiveness and understanding are in any way advancing the Kingdom of God. There are people who don’t understand the radical missional call that Jesus stands for. There are people still stuck in the philosophy of modernity where knowledge and reason and facts and information are most trusted and believed to be the means by which we can change people’s hearts to see Jesus. Theology and Truth need to be black and white; gray is at best scary and at worst heretical.

I read some comments recently from someone who, ironically, includes himself in the emergent conversation, yet criticizes it in ways that are both brilliantly insightful and sadly missing the point at the same time.

“The problems inherent in the church of modernity isn’t it’s dogma, it’s the rigid adherence to strict cultural codes that are unrelated to substanative doctrine. Those in the [emergent] “conversation” make a similar blunder by strictly adhering to the code of cultural revolt.”

In my words, he is blaming Christians for not getting the clear Gospel across to people because either they are “proclaiming” legalism as Gospel or relativism. And in either case, he says that people are going to go to Hell because they never get the message that only through Jesus are you saved.

It is true that there are places where the Church does function on one extreme or the other. But I don’t hear the emergent conversation advocating for relativism or post-modern uncertainty. I think the inherent difference in the two examples he gives is not the “Message,” rather the means by which we "proclaim" it.

For years the Church has depended on a colonial mindset towards mission. We “conquered and convinced.” It happened and still happens through the organized and institutionalized Church. Truth is based on rational, logical proclamation of the Good News: “you are a sinner; you need saved; here is the Way. . .now come to church!”

The “mission” of a post-colonial/post-modern-minded Church is not to distort that same Truth, but rather to disseminate it in a way that does not emphasize the knowledge of the Truth, but the person of the Truth. The mission happens in relationships, incarnationally and in ways that invite rather than proclaim.

Beyond all that, what I really liked about this guy’s quote was his use of the term “cultural revolt.” While I don’t think he was using it affirmatively, I thought, “how appropriate!” For that really is what we are attempting when we try to live counter-culturally as part of the upside-down kingdom, addressing issues within culture and society that affect Creation, human need and the witness of Christ in the world. In the end, that's really what I want to be about.

I'm not a big fan of labels, even though I do use them at times for ease of communication, but I guess I'm seeing a bit more clearly how labels in Christianity get started. The "emergent conversation" is not so much something new, just a label, I'd say, to identify people who are willing to be "bridge builders," something I think the world can always use a few more of.

5 Comments:

  • You've been reading my mail! What a wonderful analysis...

    Can we build bridges?

    YES WE CAN!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:19 PM, February 05, 2008  

  • "Can we build bridges?"

    Catch me on a "hopeful" day and I'd agree, "yes!"

    Catch me after conversations like I had the other day, one with someone who would never want to come to my church because they heard Anabaptists don't believe in eternal security, or another person who questioned the purpose of staying connected to the Church -- faith is a "God and me" thing . . . ???? (sigh). . . then I realize how much work there is to do . . . :-(

    At least I've also had good experiences to remind me that building bridges takes a lot of effort, but can work. And when it does, the results can be so incredible. Not only is there so much more we can do when we work together, but just the unity and understanding among Christian groups is a powerful witness to the transformative work of God and the resiliency of the Body of Christ . . . yes, when people are WILLING to build bridges.

    By Blogger Gecko Girl, at 9:23 PM, February 05, 2008  

  • And I should add, the good thing about something like Emergent Village is that it has a wide network and the infrastructure/resources to make a notable impact. Its approach is both culturally appropriate and aimed at the right level (not the grassroots level, rather the leadership), where challenging the mindsets can eventually make in-roads at the grassroots level too.

    By Blogger Gecko Girl, at 9:31 PM, February 05, 2008  

  • I enjoyed reading this post... it is so timely especially with the debate/controversy surrounding the "emergent church." To be honest, I don't know much about the emergent church, and most google results consist of critics calling emergents "followers of a cult," among other, more severe terms. Thus, it's hard for me to grasp what the emergent church really stands for.

    Granted this is just me processing thoughts "aloud", but... Sure, styles of evangelism might be different today than styles of decades past, but does the fact that it doesn't fit with "tradition" make it wrong?Yes, doctrine is important and standing for the Truth is vital... but, it seems to me that reaching out, relating to people, and starting conversations{hmmm, building bridges?!!! : )} emulates Christ more in our changing culture.

    I think this is why I like Nicole Nordeman's song "Legacy" so much:

    I want to leave a legacy/How will they remember me?/Did I choose to love?/Did I point to You enough to make a mark on things?/I want to leave an offering/A child of mercy and grace who/blessed your name unapologetically/And leave that kind of legacy

    This comment is long enough, so I better close : ) Thanks for the post!

    By Blogger CUgal, at 10:34 AM, February 11, 2008  

  • Hey you!!!! I've been wanting to check in with you for a while now - nice to see you here!

    Thanks for your comments. Actually, I talked with someone last evening at church who has had the very same experience with "google-ing" emergent to try to learn about it. A lot of red flags . . . afraid the emergent conversation is trying to open the door of interfaith dialogue for the purpose of our (I paraphrase) "gleaning faith points" from other religions.

    I admit I haven't spent a lot of time perusing googled sites, so maybe my views are somewhat one-sided. But I have listened to some of the arguments and I guess I'm much more open to dialogue than some. I'm not afraid of conversations that would stretch my framework for "labeling" people (speaking mostly denominationally - but even inter-religiously).

    And I'm a big advocate for at least getting to know/understand one another's views so that we can better converse, set aside our prejudices and see Christ in the other. I truly believe that when we are willing to at least admit Christ is there and here, then maybe we can even see what of our various faith practices make us better followers of Christ.

    My sense is that is mostly what groups like Emergent Village are up to. But I cannot speak for congregations who call themselves emergent. Not sure exactly how they would distinguish themselves.

    Google Emergent Village and see what they have to say - I should link it to this post.

    By Blogger Gecko Girl, at 2:33 PM, February 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home