The Glass Darkly

Saturday, January 26, 2008

How many bowls of rice?

I finally got to the Asian market last weekend and so made Cambodian food this week when we had some guests over. As usual they were surprised by how much rice my children can down. Ohhhh it felt so good to pile up my plate with tasty Jasmine rice and then pile on the chaa's (stir-fries). Cambodians are right; your belly just feels so much better filled with rice . . . than all the pastas and breads we use in our culture! And of course my children's reaction made me wonder why I don't make Cambodian food more often.

I had gotten into a rut of American quick/easy foods. Cambodian foods can be "easy" too, but I have to reorient my thinking and "buying" patterns back to how I was when we first returned to the U.S. How quickly we adapt to what is around us.

Chinese New Year is just around the corner and then on to Khmer New Year in April. I look forward to finding some special holiday foods in the markets to help remind us of "home" in Asia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home