The Glass Darkly

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Let me remember . . .

I've had a few posts on culture and everyday living floating around in the back of my mind for quite a while now and hope to get them written in the next week or so. But in the meantime I thought I'd post a poem that one my professors sent me as a thought for the new year. It is by Winston Abbott and was included in a book she recommended, Leading from within: Poetry That Sustains the Courage to Lead.

Let

me

remember

beyond forgetting

let

me

remember

let me remember always

for my spirit is often shrouded in the mists

let me remember beyond forgetting

that my life is not a solitary thing

it is a bit of the rushing tide

a leaf of the bending tree

a kernel of grain the golden wheat fields

a whisper of wind about the mountaintop

a reflection of sunlight upon the shining waters

it is fleeting

it is of the moment

it is timeless

it is of eternity.

-Winston O. Abbott

3 Comments:

  • There is something akin to loneliness in the sound of the raindrops falling softly through the leaves-
    but if you will listen with your heart-you will hear the carefree laughter of a brook-
    and beyond the rushing waters of a river-
    and beyond the distant throbbing of the restless tide-
    if you will listen with your heart-you too will know-that a raindrop is part of the sea-and the sea is contained in a raindrop-

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:54 PM, August 30, 2008  

  • a poetic picture, thank you

    By Blogger Gecko Girl, at 11:53 PM, August 30, 2008  

  • Thinking that you would know-it was again from Sing With the Wind-Winston O. Abbott
    Jody

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:37 PM, August 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home