The Glass Darkly

Friday, August 31, 2007

What do we live for?

I keep pondering the concept of being called. I really struggle when people ask questions like, "what do you feel called to do?" or "describe your calling." Should my calling be much different than others? There have been times in my life when I guess that was true, but not always. And is there one particular thing I am called to do? I don't know that I've ever felt called to one thing. I just have served where there are needs.

Let me be clear, there have been times I have felt called to particular things for a time and I believe people when they say they feel called to certain roles or tasks. But I've been wondering how many times we try to piece together a particular "calling" because we feel pressured that it is the spiritual way to do things. There has to be times in life when God just wants us to enjoy being called as His child. He is our Father. Our life of worship and discipleship is a calling in and of itself for our lives are living testimonies to Christ and His Body. I am called to live in Christian community and can fulfill that calling by the power of the Holy Spirit.

A friend of my family who has been a pastor for many years recently wrote, "[over the years] my greatest mistake was living for the call of God instead of [living for] the God of the call."

Sounds a bit cliche-ish, but it spoke to my pondering mind anyway. Thank you, friend, for that word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home