The Glass Darkly

Thursday, August 16, 2007

BYOB

This is great!!! I don't know how many people shop at Weis Markets, but these bags are wonderful. They are easier to use than the GIANT ones I've been using and are much cheaper (though I give GIANT lots of credit for having come up with the idea of selling re-usable cloth bags a long time ago). I guess I should have felt my nerve taking GIANT bags along when I shopped at Weis Markets, but I couldn't help but wonder when the idea of being environmentally friendly would catch-on. Now I have two cloth bags from each store. Check-out clerks are always surprised how much these bags can hold. I load all my heavy things in them and they have proven to be very strong. Tonight I fit $60 worth of groceries into two of them (I would have probably had at least 10 plastic bags had the clerk bagged my things as usual). Tonight I used only one plastic bag for my bread and eggs and I carried my gallon of milk and laundry detergent separately. That one plastic bag will serve as a trash bag for our small trash can in our bathroom this week and I don't need to store or throw away 9 other plastic grocery bags.

Looking for a creative way to care for Creation? This is a handy way to curb the amount of plastic we add to our landfills.

6 Comments:

  • Thanks for sharing this idea. May I use this in the next MC?

    By Blogger Brian Miller, at 9:38 PM, August 19, 2007  

  • Sure, but I hope you get other good ideas too from your email that you sent out (that we forgot to send back!). Thanks for your initiative in this area.

    By Blogger Gecko Girl, at 7:36 AM, August 23, 2007  

  • good to know!! I have bought one bag from gaint but i was looking to buy more of them so if the weis bags are better maybe i will head over there. I was also looking for bags that dont have "gaint" on them
    so i can take them to any other store or market!! this is one area i have been trying to do better in, as a christian and how i am treating God's creation, so i was excited to see gaint selling these bags because with 2 young kids at a grocery store i always forget to atleast ask for paper!!!
    shauna

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:49 PM, August 26, 2007  

  • Shauna,
    The Weis bags are nice, but I do like your idea of bags that don't have a store name on them. What do you think of the idea of Sunnyside printing some grocery bags that we can use? It would be a way of making a statement for our care of creation as a church family . . . do you think people would be interested?

    By Blogger Gecko Girl, at 7:08 PM, August 26, 2007  

  • Dawn, i am not sure how many people would be interested but i would love it.....what about selling them for a fundraiser....maybe for peru????
    shauna

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 PM, August 26, 2007  

  • what a great idea! Not sure how much it would cost to print and how much people would be willing to pay, but it would certainly be something to mention and get more feedback on - maybe at women's fellowship. Thanks for your comments :-)

    By Blogger Gecko Girl, at 12:47 AM, August 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home