The Glass Darkly

Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Mystery of Love

I was saving this post as a thank-you to my husband for our anniversary next month, but I changed my mind as we sat as a family today at lunch. We don't usually do much for our anniversary. It comes and goes and we might go out to eat, but I realized today just how much more I appreciate our marriage with having children. My husband returned home from a week-long work-related trip in the wee hours this morning, yes, Father's Day. And today our children were very excited to take daddy out to one of his favorite restaurants for lunch. Yes, Father's Day is another one of those "Hallmark Card" days, yet, I really don't ever want to take for granted my husband's role in my life and that of our family.

Love is truly a mystery. Our wedding verse was from Proverbs, "A cord of three strands is not easily broken." I am so thankful I found someone who loves the Lord and desires to keep Him central in our marriage. I continually stand in awe of this man who, even knowing all about me, including all my
idiosyncrasies and irritating traits, still loves me and remains my best friend. After 14 years of marriage, he is still committed to finding new ways to support and encourage me and the family; and he has even gotten to the point that he throws in a surprise here or there. He is quick to forgive and is dependable. And as far as the parenting thing -- I made it clear from the start that we were going into it as partners, for I knew I could not do a good job on my own. My children would lose some wonderful nurturing without their dad. He provides stability and is a loving father. We work together on just about everything and I am glad to have someone who will give me honest feedback and input. Life would be very lonely without him.

So, this is a prayer of thanksgiving:
thanking the LORD
for
giving me a wonderful husband
and father of our children,
and for remaining the Central Cord
of our marriage.

Love is truly a mystery.

Happy Father's Day and thanks for 14 wonderful years of marriage!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home