The Glass Darkly

Monday, April 03, 2006

Lessons from Life

Perhaps we all could name certain people in our lives who make such an impact, encourage tremendous growth and live as examples to many. There are several like that who I used to work with in Cambodia and miss very much.

Our friends, Brian and Debbi, are two them. I worked a lot with Brian at the Youth Commission and my husband worked quite a bit with Debbi in the International Church. They and their three children are in California for a few more months before heading back to Cambodia. We receive their periodic "Gecko Tales" newsletter in which both Brian and Debbi so skillfully find humor even in life's pressing difficulties.

Brian likes to write. I wish I was as good at describing life as he does. He has a unique ability to depict the earthy reality of human condition and draw out lessons and humor. I finally persuaded him to start compiling his stories on a blog to share with others. There are things about living cross-culturally I have sometimes been afraid to share because I fear people may not understand or misinterpret my intentions. Brian is not usually afraid of this. Perhaps that is why I like reading his stories; he is not afraid to explain things just as he (and many others) perceive them and then let the interpretation up to the reader.

His first post compares Cambodia "Geckoville" with America, "The Home of the Brave." If you can tolerate (or enjoy) a tinge of political satire mixed with cultural anecdotes, check out Brian's Gecko Tales.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home