The Glass Darkly

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

English Accents and Celtic Music

I was talking with a friend this morning whose sister lives in Scotland. It reminded me how I have been missing the kinds of English accents found in the UK, Australia and New Zealand. I have so many friends from those places and would love a chance to sit and chat with them, not only to catch up with life, but to hear their beautiful accents!

A few months ago I bought a tape of Celtic folk songs. Several of the songs are not in English, but the combination of stringed and woodwind instruments with voice is captivating. It seems both reflective and energizing at the same time . . . is that possible??? I love the lilt of Irish and Scottish accents (though I confess I sometimes have a hard time following a fast Scottish accent). Plus, the ancient history of Celtic culture intrigues me. My husband got me the CD, Isle of Tides, for my birthday. Some of the songs are a bit more contemporary, but I do really like the drums along with the, almost airiness, found in Celtic music. Anyway, for those of you who enjoy trying out new genres of music and are not opposed to English accents, Celtic music is definitely a rich one to try!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home