The Glass Darkly

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

And . . . Multicultural Worship?

Again, which is better, to desire a multicultural gathering of Believers every Sunday which we believe will show our willingness to worship in unity despite diversity, or, to look at the Church as a combination of congregations whose individual cultures are allowed to “fly their colors” as one part of the Church’s banner, Christ’s global bride? Doesn’t Christ look at the Church as global already? He sees His bride as parts from every tribe and nation. Do we think we need to create a global looking Church within every congregation?

My biggest argument for multicultural worship is that if we only associate with people who are like us, do we ever grow beyond where we are today? Can we ever fully internalize a new language, both linguistically and affectively speaking? Can we minister in love and understanding to those whose life situation we have never experienced or known existed? Can we ever really identify with the poor and needy? As soon as I turn to this side of the table, I feel this is a better place to be – to more fully realize the global Church and the human needs therein. I need to be stretched and learn to love the unlovely or the needy. I need to learn how different groups view each other and how they view me within my social context so that I can stand in humility and reach out without judgment. I need the chance to practice unconditional love and the extension of grace and mercy. This is the way of Jesus.

Even though I think pushing for multicultural worship may be good, we need to monitor our pride and desire for benefits. I have heard people argue that we can “benefit from” the blending of backgrounds. Is that the attitude of many church-goers? Do we look at a worship experience in terms of how we benefit, be it physically, spiritually, socially or maybe just experientially? (I’m trying to find a word to explain a more academic reason for how one would benefit from the mixing of cultures). People speculate that it can be enriching and my response would be, “absolutely!” But I think we need to be careful with our language, that our worship experience as the Church is not necessarily so that we benefit but that God is glorified.

I do strongly believe that worship is a choice we must make no matter how difficult it is or no matter what we must overcome in our human circumstances to focus on God. One of the hardest circumstances we face each day is the fact that no one person is like the other. Even beyond our “macro-cultures,” there are the “micro-cultures” which separate us, be it denominational affiliation, economic status, personality, family background, abilities or lack thereof. We often allow these differences to become barriers in our relationships and worship. Ultimately, I believe that unity in the Body of Christ is more important than what our congregations look like. But, I suppose an important aspect of our worship is the love we extend to ALL God's people.

2 Comments:

  • You have an amazing ability to express ideas clearly and thoughtfully!

    Fascinating post on mono- vs. multicultural worship.

    I think it is also necessary to consider how economic factors impact the way we are grouped for worship.

    Brian

    By Blogger Brian Miller, at 7:28 PM, March 29, 2006  

  • Thank you. You are very right in saying that economic factors impact the way we "are grouped" or perhaps "group ourselves" for worship. I can't help but think about our situation at Sunnyside and around Sunnyside. The words of David Shenk ring in my ears from November, stirring us to consider where God has placed us locality-wise and what that may mean in terms of our willingness to reach out and be invitational.

    Actually, these posts were cuttings from a much longer journal in which I talked more about economic diversity and power issues in the Church. Your "insider/outsider" point a couple weeks ago was excellent. We can't begin to truly accept diversity until we are willing to admit or define what those terms mean for us.

    By Blogger Gecko Girl, at 10:43 PM, March 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home