The Glass Darkly

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Living in the Moment

I wish I could just live in the moment. Sitting on my front porch watching the children play, the cars and people pass by . . . wondering where they are going, waving back. Thirsty? Just walk down to the corner shop buy a cold soda . . . just one. Enjoy the conversation with those along the way. Neighbor stops by and we can just sit and chat or maybe walk with them. Feeling hungry, family hungry? Ok, time to make supper.

But life here is not like that. Sitting -- just sitting? I feel like I'll be judged to be lazy. Wondering about those you see go by? that's being nozy. Thirsty? I should check my pantry where I wisely stock up for weeks. Too many trips to the store is a waste of time, money and energy. Neighbors and guests should call ahead. Meals are planned and everything is scheduled.

I've been taught this is good. This is the way of life. To be otherwise is irresponsible and immature. Trained to conform, taught to think ahead. I try hard to fit in: Focus on the point; push toward the destination.

But what about the journey? Come what may . . . I just want to enjoy it . . . experience it. I don't want to miss the beauty of Creation, the realities of humanity, the possibilities on the paths less trodden . . . or the pain of going there. And to breathe deeply in the moment, making the journey what life is all about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home