The Glass Darkly

Monday, January 15, 2007

Innocence

It is amazing how our socialization robs us of our innocence. When I observe the absolute abandonment of a newborn baby . . . no qualms whatsoever in making noises like screaming, laughing, cooing and all the sounds of normal bodily functions we adults are taught to hide or be embarrassed about . . . newborns couldn't care a bit . . . anywhere at anytime, whenever nature calls. Babies are not embarrassed about their bowed legs, bald heads, facial rashes and sour-milk breath. And they have no inhibitions in regards to expressions of pleasure, displeasure, sleepiness, stretching and waking up. Their innocence melts our hearts and enables us to tolerate those testy moments we normally would not tolerate from one another in the older stages of life. What we may term as stubborness, rudeness, selfishness or grouchiness in older children or adults, we accept as innocent dependence in a baby.

There is an earthiness about babies that is refreshing, reminding me of the fact that no matter how together and proper we try to look to one another, we all started life in the same way -- formed and birthed naked and fragile, utterly dependent, unsocialized and crude in behavior, and unaware of a world that would soon change all that. When I hear my baby screaming out to me as if to say, "life is not treating me well!" I cry silent tears in my heart, lamenting the fact that life will only get tougher for her as she gets older. Oh, the treasure of Innocence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home