The Glass Darkly

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Living in Two Worlds

I received another phone call from Phnom Penh, Cambodia this morning at 6:45. After the typical long delay, I was thrilled to hear the voice of one of the young women who used to live with us. I have been worried about her in the last several months as the reports we have heard regarding her work and financial situation have not been good. We slowly proceeded through the typical niceties; I chatted with her 2 year old son and asked about her husband's family (she, herself, was an orphan). We then embarked on a long review of what she was doing with her life. She mostly responded to a long emailed letter I wrote her recently. The MCCer through whom I sent the letter failed to get a translator so she had many questions. What a wonderful time we had catching up with each other!

I was reminded of two important realities in my life through this phone call. The first is the fact that my heart still feels the desire to live in two worlds, where I am now and where I lived before. Yet that is really not possible. As I expected, the memories of the former have begun to fade and the intensity of my emotional connection lessens as time passes. Life takes a lot of energy and focus. My prayer list just from those around me overwhelms me at times. When I combine it with with the needs I know exist half-way around the world and then add to that all the other needs in the world . . . I can hardly believe that my God has it all under control.

And that leads me to the second thing I was reminded of from this phone call. How wretched am I who ever doubts God's consistent hand of grace and hope!!! I cried after the phone call because I was expecting more requests for help, more stories of helplessness, more excuses of why this young woman could not go to church or follow in God's ways. Against our advice, this strong Christian young woman married an unbeliever. She experienced many other difficulties due to unwise choices in her life. After a while she stopped attending church and connecting with other Believers. Recently she lost her job; their motorbike was stolen; and her in-laws have had one catastrophe after another. Me, who claims to trust the Lord, ran out of patience, ran out of hope for her, had the audacity to tell her, "we cannot help you if you continue to turn your back on the Lord!" I was expecting a difficult phone conversation.

Instead she told me stories of hope. She said she has begun attending a Methodist church which had been planted in our village. Her husband attends with her when he does not need to work. This family is very poor and lives without running water. She was excited that she and her husband found a new way of making money, by collecting recyclables from along the city streets. She told me she has been reading her Bible everyday and has found favor in the eyes of the village chief who tells people she is an honest person. It is difficult for Christians to earn a good reputation in the village. She told me she could never forget the Lord, for He has blessed her above others in the village. I was astounded, encouraged . . . and ashamed. After the phone call, I immediately confessed my lack of faith and trust to God.

How Great is our God! Who am I to ever doubt His power???? What a good reminder to me, that, even though I cannot live in two worlds, I serve a God who can work wonders in the lives of every single person on this Earth. My job is to pray in faith and offer my praise. Thank you, God, for being Lord of ALL Creation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home