The Glass Darkly

Monday, July 17, 2006

Funny American Things

I can tell - we are more American this year. I feel more comfortable and think more clearly. I've been noticing a number of changes in the last year.

This past winter we were able to keep our house temp between 65 and 68 degrees F instead of the 75 to 80 we needed last year.

We use airconditioning occassionally.

We acquired a used freezer and I am using it more.

We went on vacation this year to the beach and camping again this summer.

I am becoming more comfortable wearing shorts and pants again.

I use more boxed and canned foods than before.

We went swimming several times this summer and I enjoyed it immensely -- not as self-conscious about myself and everyone else!

As homeowners now, we are exploring more areas for home improvement.

We spend a lot more time thinking about education, transportation, saving money, children's savings, insurances, charge cards (we qualify now!), health care costs, etc.

I think it is funny to say, but these are American things I didn't realize I was struggling with until now I look back and see how I have changed. It seems really wierd to me, but I guess the reverse happened when I adjusted to living in Asia. I assume this change is happening faster since this is my "mother culture."

1 Comments:

  • As you adjust to American life, i am preparing to adjust to college life. I got my schedule today, which made reality sink in even further. Hmmm. Scary and exciting, all together. Anyways, check out my blog for the latest details of my life. : ) (thanks for updating the xanga)

    By Blogger CUgal, at 7:57 PM, July 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home