The Glass Darkly

Thursday, June 22, 2006

The World Cup

Yes, it is called the World Cup -- but I must admit, until I ventured into the world, I did not know much about it. Soccer has always been my favorite sport -- there is a cleanness about it, few rules and lots of action. But growing up a female in the USA did not help me gain much high-level exposure to the sport. My high school had no soccer team and the few other schools in our league which did have teams only had guys teams. So my playing time was limited to middle school, a co-ed community team in high school and some time in college. And what's more is that I really never watched sports on TV growing up aside from a few glances at the car races my father enjoyed.

When I went abroad, I realized how sheltered from the world of sports I had been raised . . . not only from a significant amount of American sports, but also international sports. Even in a third-world country like Cambodia, many people got to see international football games . . . rooting for teams like Manchester United or Arsenal or Bayern . . . or Brazil in the last World Cup. It was funny to see the incredulous looks on the faces of Americans who taught at the university where we worked. They assumed everyone knew Michael Jordan. Rather they were given names like David Beckham or Djibril Cisse as names of famous sports players. Even out in the middle of the rice paddies, 12-v batteries enabled the families in little thatch houses with antennaes poking up through the coconut leafs to connect to the world through the TV.

I think it is funny, yet sad, that I, an American, can get free visas to most countries of the world???? Do I really deserve it when I consider how little of the world I really know and how much of the world my country influences?

I must say, however, that since I have begun following the international football scene, I have come to love the spirit of the game even more. The passion of the fans, the way whole countries join together in the World Cup and my continued love for the game itself, has captured my attention and enthusiasm. And even though I am not a di-hard fan for any one particular team, I have been impressed with the teams who have defeated the US thus far in the tournament. Good job, Ghana!!! I hope Italy and Brazil keep going too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home