The Glass Darkly

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What America Can Do!

I can’t help but stand in awe of what happened on election day. Each day since, I look at news reports or commentary on the TV and need to remind myself that Obama REALLY did win. I feel like I have to keep pinching myself to make sure this is really true . . . a change has happened.

Yet I also heard Obama say in his acceptance speech that while election day will stand as a significant marker in history, the test for change is yet to come. We just opened the door of possibility.

So many things happened in this election year that seem significant, that indicate changes in American society. Just the fact that the electorate voted in an African-American, just the fact that after 2 elections in which I couldn’t believe the politics that existed continued to be supported and now we have a different party in the oval office, just the fact that we voted for someone with lots of international connections after all the fear and false allegations about that leading up to the election . . . just those facts alone make me hopeful! Those are indicators of change.

Maybe, on a deeper level, the change is that, as a people, we are becoming more self-aware and willing to make greater leaps toward “justice for all.” Maybe we are more willing to stand up against rhetoric that demonizes, excludes and incites fear.

And I was happy to hear McCain's concession speech step past the "opponent" language to call Americans to unity. I hear Obama longing for bi-partisan cooperation rather than Democratic dominance. I found a Republican Party website that had the following to say about Obama:

Let Us Hope and Pray the Change He Spoke of Will Be For The Good of All America. We are Living in an Historic Time - Martin Luther King Would Be Proud. America Should Be Proud That We Have Come To This Moment.

Although We Do Not Agree With Obama on Many Issues We Will Fight the Fight on Future Issues but for now, Let Us Remember - We Are American's - First and Foremost.

May God Bless Barack Obama!
May God Bless Our Elected Officials!
May God Bless Our Troops!
May God Bless America!

I can only feel hopefulness that, in light of the changes that have happened already, deeper, more sustainable change can begin to transform our nation. Yes, it is amazing what America can do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home