The Glass Darkly

Friday, January 06, 2006

My Invitation

Ok, I can't believe that I am doing this. My decision to finally take the plunge and start a blog makes me feel both scared and excited. I am at a place in my life where I have a lot more time to reflect, analyze and wonder. But there are so many scattered thoughts I toss around in my head! I realize that forcing myself to sit and write them out is one step toward organizing them. The majority of my writings are in the form of journals and essays on various topics. I start them and then add to them or change them a bit. The more I edit, the more organized my thoughts become. I have found this process to be very therapeutic because disorganization is one reality which causes stress in my life and I am happy when I find new ways to manage both stress and disorganization!

But what makes me scared is the potential public arena a blog can become. I am conscious of the fact that my thoughts often start out in a very raw state. It takes time for me shape them into a form with which I am comfortable. So I have yet to decide how I want to set up my blog. I would prefer it be organized by topics rather than by date. On the other hand, I already have my journals from which I will pull many of my postings, so I was thinking that a blog may provide me benchmarks for my journey. For that is how I view my thought development.

Which leads me to my final thoughts in regards to this blog. My main focus for this blog is on culture and the human condition. I love to hear from the experiences of others and I thought a blog may be a forum for just that kind of interaction. But, as far as my personal thoughts, I want this blog to be a window into my journey, not a documentation of my dogma. Despite how I may appear at times, I am not really a dogmatic person. Instead I am one who likes to offer my thoughts but then hear from others who have other insights to add. It is within that context that I glean commonalities or struggles. My philosophy is that the more I glean, the more I learn, the closer to a complete picture I may get. But this means that my understanding can grow and change over time.

The title I chose, "The Glass Darkly," is an attempt to encapsulate this concept: can we ever FULLY understand the struggles in our world until the time we meet our Lord face to face? I really don't think it is possible to FULLY understand all the aspects which affect culture and the human condition, but I believe the struggle and striving is one way I can promote a more peaceful and understanding world.

The starting of this blog is my way of inviting others to join me in my journey and mission.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home